Title: A Study in Purple
Size: 16″ x 20″
A Study in Purple was made using painter’s caulk, acrylic paint, and ink on canvas.
I’m writing this story in 2016, the piece was created in 2013 so I’ll do my best to remember.
A Study In Purple was an experiment. [As I write this, I think I need to do another!] This was done with painter’s caulk, my favorite medium. I love the color purple so that was a natural choice. I also had a variety of purple acrylic paints as well as two shades of purple ink on hand which helped settle on a color rather quickly. For this piece I wanted to do thicker texturing. I also wanted to try to mix color into the caulk while I was applying it to the canvas.
Normally I mix the coloring into the caulk before applying it. I will also paint over it after the caulk has set. Mixing in the inks and acrylic paint while applying it to the canvas allowed me to create a good range of shades, from pale lavender to deep, dark purple. It also presented some challenges too. As you mix in the liquid colorants (either the paint or ink), it begins to thin the caulk. If I applied too much at a time, or mixed it in to thoroughly, the texture would begin to flatten. The caulk would take on much more of a paint-like consistency and not a sculptural medium. It was a subtle balancing act.
The name isn’t creative, I know. Sometimes a descriptive name suits a piece. In this case, calling it A Study In Purple seemed too obvious to ignore.
I managed to find a detail shot I took for its listing on Etsy. It gives you a good idea of the depth of some of the texture. Unfortunately, I the really tall ridges are just above & below where the photo was taken (Doh!).