Size: 9″ x 12″
Early Bloom was created using painter’s caulk, acrylic paint, yarn, adhesive, ink, and polymer clay on canvas.
Early Bloom began life with a very different vision for what it would be. Originally I painted this canvas in multiple tones of blue using a mixture of acrylic paints and painter’s caulk. It was supposed to mount vertically. It takes about a day for the caulk to fully cure so I decided to do some work on this site. I needed to find some pictures of my older pieces so I was sorting through some pictures when I came across some photos I had take shortly after we moved to the Washington D.C. metro area. They were of the cherry blossoms down at the Mall. There were beautiful blue skies that day. While looking at the photos, I realized I needed to go a different direction with my new piece.
Once the background was dry, I painted the branch with acrylic paint. That was my guide for the yarn. By this time, I had created several pieces by winding yarn around boards & canvases. I had also started work on Fallen just before this piece was started. It has several sections where I “painted” with yarn. I wanted to take that one step further, which I did with this piece.
After the glue holding the yarn was dried, I wanted to add a bit more depth. I have a selection of waterproof inks in my studio. I used a brown ink and painted along the bottom edges and in a few areas inside the main branch. When that was dried, I sealed the yarn with Mod Podge, a sealant commonly used in collage work.
The flowers were sculpted using polymer clay. They were applied last. The entire piece, including the flowers, received one more coat of Mod Podge. The sides of the piece are painted light blue so the piece will look nice on your wall without a frame.