Size: 16″ x 20″
Hydrangeas Embellished was created with dried hydrangea petals, dimensional paint, acrylic paint, glaze, and an acrylic varnish on canvas. The petals also cover the sides of the canvas.
[NOTE: Shipping, if required, will be invoiced separately]
This piece is currently on exhibition at Artomatic 2017 in Crystal City, Virginia until May 7, 2017.
I’m wrote this story in 2016, the piece was created in 2009. I did my best to remember to remember the details.
Hydrangeas Embellished is piece I remember well. It was one of the time-consuming pieces I’ve ever done. If you asked me if I’d ever do it again the answer would be a resounding “hell no!”
The story of this piece really begins with the source material, the hydrangea petals. Yes, those are dried hydrangea petals individually glued into place. I was at Micheal’s Arts & Crafts and they were had bags of dried bunches of hydrangeas on clearance. My family has some kind of genetic defect when it comes to clearance sales. We all buy stuff because ‘it’s a good deal’ even when we have no practical use for the stuff. These bags of dried hydrangeas definitely fell into that group. I had no earthly idea what I was going to do with them. When I bought them, I wasn’t even creating non-digital art yet.
One day in 2009, I was going through boxes & came across the bags. I had just started creating physical art. I thought, “hey, what if I just pull the petals off & glue them to that canvas I just bought (also for no particular reason)?” Thus my decent into madness began.
You may be thinking that pulling off petals was a simple thing. It was not. Many of the petals had defects like tears or folds so I couldn’t use them. I had to open 3 of the bags to find enough good petals to cover the canvas. It was painstakingly slow. I would spend several hours at a time glueing the petals down. Basically I worked until my neck & back made it clear I needed to stop. While you can’t see it in the picture, the sides of the canvas are also covered in petals. It’s kind of a miracle I found enough ‘good’ petals to cover the whole thing.
Once it was done, I realized it wasn’t as cool as I imagined it would be. It was a really large surface and the petals are small. That’s when I thought about doing some kind of flourish. I get asked about the flourish a lot. The outline was done using a dimensional paint. They sell it in the craft stores. The coloring inside the flourish is simply acrylic paint mixed with an acrylic varnish to create a glaze.
I’m kind of sad that this hasn’t sold. I offer it with a frame and without. I still think it would look great in a shabby chic style room. The price listed is without the frame. I decided that, in 2016, I would remove the frame to see if I get any interest (the frame adds $20 to the price).
If you are interested in purchasing this piece, contact me directly.